Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Looking Back on 2015 and Ahead to 2016

The Giant Harry Potter Cardboard Maze. 
Photo courtesy of Will Forrester.

2015

2015 was an incredibly busy year. I got married, went from part-time, to full-time, designed and built a giant cardboard maze, and we even bought a house! I was also serving on the Theodor Seuss Geisel Award Committee and spent the last few months knee deep in notes and books prepping for intense book discussions at ALA Midwinter. It was a lot of hard work, but I am very proud of the winner and three honor books chosen our committee. 

I'll admit it, I didn't get as much blogging done as I would have liked. So instead of trying to catch up on my November and December round-ups, and because there are more great books published each year than I could ever hope to read, I give you a round-up of best/notable/fabulous book lists of 2015. 

ALSC's Notable Children's Book 2016 List
A great list of books for kids (0-14 years old). The list is divided into books for younger, middle, and older readers with nonfiction and fiction mixed together. 

Denver Public Library's 2015 Best & Brightest Book List - Every year a group of Denver Public Library librarians gets together to create our Best & Brightest Children's Book List. Divided into categories, this annotated list includes our favorite children's books for babies through middle schoolers published in 2015. It is our hope that there's something on this list for every child. We strive to make a list that reflects the wonderful diversity of the City of Denver. I have personally contributed titles to this list. 

Notable Books for a Global Society 2016 List
Each year The Children's Literature and Reading Special Interest Group of the International Literacy Association chooses 25 books for preK through 12th grade that reflect and celebrate diversity. 

School Library Journal's Best of 2015
Categories include books for babies through teens, as well as apps, audiobooks, and DVDs. 

We Need Diverse Books End of the Year Booklists
Divided by age range and presented in eye-catching flowcharts, these lists provide a variety of excellent and diverse recommendations for young readers. 

2016

As I look at my work-life-blog balance, I realize that I will have less time to blog in 2016. I still plan on posting a round-up at the end of each month, but the reviews will probably be much shorter. More keywords (to help me when I'm doing reader's advisory on the fly) and less hyperlinks. I hope you'll still continue to stop by and that you'll find this blog helpful. 

*A duplicate of this post can also be found on my other blog: PictureBookADay.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment